Rejection of M20 contraflow proposal – frustrating says FTA

image.jpg_1337268011

The rejection by Highways England of a contraflow on the M20 in Kent during Operation Stack has been described as “extremely frustrating” by the Freight Transport Association (FTA) today.

The idea of a contraflow had been suggested by the FTA during an Operation Stack Summit hosted by Kent County Council (KCC) last Friday 24 July, when it was proposed as a possible ‘short-term’ solution throughout the summer in order to keep traffic moving on the M20 in Kent.

Highways England has said that a contraflow would present a significant and unacceptable risk to the safety of road users and anyone required to work in it.

Natalie Chapman, FTA Head of Policy South East England commented:“FTA is hugely frustrated by the rejection of the suggestion of a contraflow being introduced on the M20. This would be preferable to the current situation when Operation Stack is implemented on the motorway which has a devastating impact on local businesses and communities. We understand that Highways England have looked at the contraflow option and are concerned at the risk to safety in introducing this, but the fact remains that we still need a safe and workable solution.”

READ MORE: Rejection of M20 contraflow proposal – frustrating says FTA

Related posts